Our History

Through the years our church has grown because of the efforts of many dedicated people.  Our church was founded in 1884 as Oak Grove Methodist Church. 

In 1884, eight local families feeling the need for a church, school and cemetery in the community, established the Oak Grove Methodist Church.  Dudley Goolsby, who lived in the midst of these eight families, offered a tract of land.  However, before title transferred, Mr. Goolsby passed away, leaving the land to his stepson, Will Hogan.  Mr. Hogan carried out Mr. Goolsby's will be deeding the land for this purpose.

A local minister, Alf Miller, led the pioneers in constructing a log building and also served as our first pastor.

By 1896, this log building had become too small for the growing community  The members joined together to build a church and school.  In 1928, the school moved to the building now known as the Sylvan Springs Community Center.

On March 24, 1932, the building was completely destroyed by fire.  The depression had just hit and times were hard for the community then known as Hoagtown.  But these people had great faith and with the leadership of Rev. Lennie Jones and others, the white plank church was built.

In 1952, our church was on the Mulga circuit and was made a station  giving us our first full-time pastor, Rev. B. G. Wright.

In 1953, the first unit of our educational building was built.  In 1967, the name of the church was changed to West Grove United Methodist Church.  In 1973 additional rooms were completed.

In 1968, our present parsonage was built and our present church was built in 1978.  In 1987 to the First United Methodist Church of Sylvan Springs.

The Family Life Center was constructed in 1998.

Make a Free Website with Yola.